The GW4 Climate Alliance is an interdisciplinary research consortium of the universities of Bath, Bristol, Cardiff and Exeter. We aim to develop transformative systems responses to the climate crisis.
The climate crisis is the largest enduring global, anthropogenic threat to humanity and the natural environment. Disasters linked to climate and weather extremes have always been part of our Earth’s system, but they are becoming more frequent and intense as global temperatures rise. Climate change threatens every aspect of our world. The impacts are wide ranging from social disruption and economic instability to environmental degradation.
The GW4 Climate Alliance is uniquely placed to address the global challenge of climate change, due to both our regional ‘ecosystem’ and the complementary critical mass of expertise across the GW4 institutions. The 2016 South West England and South East Wales Science and Innovation Audit found our region is home to more climate-related expertise than any other region worldwide.
Come and join us at our Launch on 20 October 2021. More details and outline Programme here
The Mission of the GW4 Alliance Is:
- To deliver expert knowledge and leadership at a global level.
- To influence positive change nationally and internationally through long-term partnership with key stakeholders including policy makers, practitioners, industry, NGOs and the public.
- To lead regional climate responses and use regional geography as a testbed for national solutions.
- To cultivate a rich collaborative, multidisciplinary research, and training environment in which we and our stakeholders generate knowledge and skills together.
The GW4 Climate Alliance is a platform to:
- Develop a cohesive community of GW4 climate expertise within the region and beyond
- Connect practitioners, industry policy makers, researchers and the public through convening a network and influencing change through long-term partnerships
- Together increase understanding of the complex relationships between technologies, ecological and societal issues and drive innovative solutions across key sectors
- Contribute to thought leadership and policy development through research papers and policy briefs